Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Bangin' Banana Bake

Today's Sips:
Coffee: 1 cup
Tea: 0

Obviously yesterday's blahs ran over into today - and are a bit worse. No tea?! There is definitely something wrong. I don't know why I'm in this funk, it should have blown over by now. I think I need to go on a fast or meditate. Something extreme to wake me up!

So I did what any other girl would do...BAKE!

I rounded up my cousin Chrissy and we rolled up our sleeves. Chrissy is my almost 30 year-old cousin who has special needs. Though she may not be able to fully understand my bad day, she is such an amazing and uplifting spirit - will lift anyone's mood! And of course, she shares my same passion for all things yummy.

This banana bake was bangin'. I say "bake," because I don't consider it a real "cake." It consisted of 1. WATER 2. WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR 3. SPLENDA BROWN SUGAR 4. APPLE SAUCE 5. BAKING POWDER & SODA 6. CINNAMON 7. NUTMEG 8. MILK 9. SALT 10. EGGS 11. WALNUTS 12. 4 RIPE BANANAS 13. VANILLA

Yes, that's right...no butter. It passed the Chrissy test, then later passed the Grandma, Aunt, & Uncle test. The consistency was a cross between a cake, brownie, and an airy bread-y deliciousness. I did not measure anything, eyeballing it makes the best bakes.

Do I think using Splenda brown sugar as a sugar alternative is OK? Honestly, no. I realize Splenda is full of altered substances that are no good for the body. Why did I use it? Because I never do. I was not in a grocery store with healthier alternatives, it was late, and I really NEEDED to bake something. I figured that since I never typically use this product, I would let it go this one time. I don't plan to use it in the future, but if I'm out of options, and in a panic bake mode, then I better have a better alternative on hand. Good lesson for today: keep better alternative ingredients on hand at ALL times. You never know when you will need them even if you hardly use them. 

This concludes my post. I refuse to post again until I'm back to my sunny-self, which should be tomorrow. Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment